Sunday, October 10, 2010

Normalmapton, Tennessee

I spent most of my day yesterday following this handy Blender modeling tutorial.  
http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/09/28/house_elf/
http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/10/04/series-house-elf-part-2/


Check out this gross Harry Potter elf I made.  It has nothing to do with my project, I'm just learning sculpting tools in Blender.

It's bumpy AND shiny.  A true accomplishment.  I'm getting much faster with Blender controls after this.  Here's what I got out of it:
  • The normal map and UV stuff was touched over very fast so I don't think I'm going to remember most of it.
  • Blender's way of handling materials/images is going to take some getting used to (it's also broken on my old laptop).  
  • The multi-resolution stuff broke on me.  I was able to get around it, but it took my Blender hope down a notch.
  • The stupid thing about modifying your preferences in Blender is that the only way to save your changes is to make your current scene the default "new" scene.  WTF!?  Must be some ancient thing that's a pain in the ass to change.
  • The modeling tools are amazing, except for moving topology around... I can't really figure out how to do that as easily as you can in maya with the split polygon tool.  If your topology isn't created the way you want it's such a pain to change it.




No comments:

Post a Comment